The wizard to help select a new Smart Number to your account, requires the following information:
Origin of the Phone Number
- Order a new phone number: Select this option if you need to order a new phone number and use it as your Smart Number.
- Transfer an existing phone number: Select this option is you want to transfer an existing number (telephone, fax, mobile) and use it as your Smart Number. When selecting this option, you will be required to provide information on the number to port: the service provider where the number is currently active, the customer account number and address of its owner, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To transfer a mobile number, it is recommended to ask your mobile service provider to assign a new number for your mobile SIM card before transferring your mobile number. This way, your existing mobile number will be transferred to your Smart Number service and the new number will be assigned to your mobile phone and eventually kept confidential for more privacy.
Type of Phone Number
The following options are available when you choose to order a new number:
- Local Phone Number: You will be assigned a new a number in your area. In the next step, you will be asked to select the state/province, city and area code of your new number.
- Toll-Free (8xx) Number: You will get a new toll-free number for people outside your region to call you without paying long distance charges. In the next step, you will be asked to select the toll-free area code (800, 866, 877, 888, etc.).
- International Phone Number: You will get a new number in a country of your choice to enable people in that country to call you without paying long distance charges (it will be a local call for them). In the next steps, you will be asked to select the country, the area code and the city where you want your new number.
Phone Number Options
Smart Number offers many features. Select all the options that you want to enable:
- Telephone Calls (Voice): Select this option if you want to use this number to make and receive phone calls.
- Fax Reception (Smart Fax): Select this option if you want to use this number to send and receive faxes.
- SMS Reception (Smart SMS): Select this option if you want to use this number to send and receive text messages (SMS).
- Emergency Calls (911): By default, Smart Number do not support traditional 911 or E911 emergency calls. A subscription is required for this. Select this option if you want to activate 911 services on this telephone number.
Phone Number Geographic Location
- State/Province: Select the state/province of your new Smart Number.
- Area Code/City: Select the area code/city of your new Smart Number.
- Toll-Free Prefix: Select a toll-free area code of your new Smart Number from the dropdown list.
Phone Number Selection
A list of available numbers in the selected State/Province and Area Code/City will be displayed if you opted to order a new number. Select a number from the list or click Not Listed to have one of the representatives contact you and help you with your phone number selection.
Phone Number to Port
To port a phone number currently in your possession and use it as your Smart Number, you will need to submit a Line Number Port (LNP) request that provides detailed information on the number to port, its current service provider as well as the customer account number and address of its owner (you). A copy of your most recent bill must be submitted with the LNP request.
- Wireless Number?: Select Yes if this phone number is operated by a wireless carrier.
- ssnpin (if wireless): Enter the ssnpin code of your wireless phone number. Ask your wireless provider for this information.
- Current Service Provider: Enter the name of the current telephone service provider (example: Rogers or Verizon).
- Account Number: Enter your account number with the current telephone service provider. This information should be on your bill.
- Billing Phone Number: Enter the phone number used by the current telephone service provider to contact you for billing purposes.
- Name on Statement: Enter the first and last name or company name to which bills are addressed.
- Recent Invoice: Upload your most recent invoice from the current telephone service provider. The maximum file size is 2MB.
- Billing Address: Enter the full billing address indicated on your invoices from the current telephone service provider (city, state/province, zip/postal code and country).
Type of Office Extension Device
Select the type of telephone device or softphone assigned to your office extension:
- Device: Select this option to assign a SIP telephone device to your office extension. This can be an IP phone or an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) device configured to use the selected office extension.
- Mobile app: Select this option to assign a mobile app to the office extension. You can choose the mobile app for iPhone, Android or BlackBerry devices.
- WebPhone: Select this option to assign a WebPhone to the office extension. WebPhone can run on your Web portal or as a browser extension for Chrome, Mozilla or Edge.
Based on your selected type of office extension device, a dropdown list offer the available devices, their price and availability.
Office Extension Properties
- Extension Name: Enter the descriptive name that will be displayed in your list of numbers (example: cottage). Maximum of 19 characters.
- Extension Number: Enter the extension number assigned to this new device.
- Internal Name: Enter the name shown for internal calls (if you have a company account).
Please sign in to leave a comment.